Kaylee Frye Dress

Hello fellow fans!

If you read my post from last week, you know that on April 10th I went to Emerald City Comicon in Seattle wearing a Kaylee Frye inspired frock.

Kaylee Frye inspired Dress at ECCC
Captain Kaylee's in command



Photo Credit: Hilary from the Cutie Life <3

Now, I'm finally getting around to laying out all the details for those who are interested.

Little backstory: A few years ago, I got all the necessary items to make a Kaylee Frye cosplay, but being as it was a last-minute thing, my friends and I were too late to buy tickets so it was never completed.

Flash forward to the beginning of April this year: I had decided that I wasn't going to go to comicon without wearing something fun. The two other conventions I've been to I regretted only wearing a geeky t-shirt. It's so much more fun to wear a cosplay! (If also stressful and quite a bit sweaty, as I learned.)

It all started with an idea: a dress combining the details of both of Kaylee's most memorable outfits from Firefly.

Three Kaylee Fryes at ECCC


Thankfully, I already had the dress. It was given to me by a bestie of mine. However it would need a bit of tricky alteration to look more like Kaylee's outfit. That involved turning a button up dress into one with a zipper, which is something I had never done before. Here I was going to attempt it anyway!

Before and after green Kaylee Frye inspired dress


After removing all the buttons and plackets, I seam ripped the inside of the casing underneath where the buttons were so I could install the zipper to the other side. With a tricky bit of manipulation, it worked! I sewed back down the stitch line and shortened the bottom of the dress and that was all that needed to be done. Then I hand/basted the patches on just in case I ever wanted to wear the dress plainly.

Kaylee Frye inspired Dress at ECCC


The "shindig" part of this outfit was a little trickier. I started with a plain slip and a couple of children's tutu skirts, all of which were thrifted for under $15. I then sewed them together so it formed a long strip (we're talking 6-8 feet here!) and gathered it with the sewing machine.

So frustrating to sew, but so rewarding to watch those perfect gathers happen.

sewing tutu fabric for Kaylee Frye inspired dress


Then I simply sewed the tutu fabric to the slip. Well, not so simply considering that the slip is stretchy! And well... slippery. (haha) But I followed the words of sewing guru Tim Gunn and made it work!

Before and after of Kaylee Frye inspired dress slip


I finished off the look with a pair of strawberry earrings. Very happy to say that the dress turned out almost exactly as I imagined! It was so comfortable to wear around the con too! Tutu slips might be the next big thing! You never know...

Kaylee Frye inspired Dress at ECCC with Groot


Also, a shout-out to the PDX Browncoats booth where I got the awesome Jayne hat pin! I should have had my bear wearing it during the con!

Kaylee Frye bear patch wearing a Jayne Hat pin from PDX Browncoats


I hope this post inspires you to follow your sewing and cosplay dreams. Think outside the box and make the ideas your own. Anything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment